Thursday, March 24, 2016

Springfield Trip: Part One


Last week was spring break for me, and I took four days away to spend some time with my mom in Springfield. I managed to see a couple friends, too, but not nearly as many as I had hoped, so I'm looking into taking a solo trip later this spring or maybe summer. In the meantime, here are a few snaps from last week!



I pulled into town about an hour before my momma, so I snagged my sweet friend  Haley for a coffee date. She was leaving later that day for St. Louis, so I came close to missing her. I'm so glad our schedules aligned! She even got to meet my mom for a few minutes. :) 

Afterward, mom and I grabbed lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant, then did a little shopping to find some things that she needed from the "big city." (Okay, Springfield isn't really the big city, but when you live in a town of 500 people, some things are a little harder to find.) We met up with some of my family for dinner and laughed, cried, and laughed some more. I have a particular story to tell about that dinner, but it's so special that it really deserves it's own post, so I'll save that one for another day. 
We started day two at the Early Bird Breakfast Pub, which opened not too terribly long before I moved to KC. This was one of mom's favorite meals of the entire trip (the picture doesn't even come close to doing it justice).  It also gave me the opportunity to stare longingly at Aunt Martha's Pancake House, which was a Springfield icon before it closed last year. RIP Aunt Martha's.
Afterward, mom and I headed out to do some thrifting. She is honestly the one who taught me to love it long before it ever became hip (or whatever) to do so. I've been following that woman down crowded aisles of dusty old junk since I could walk. My mother loves antiques almost as much as breathing--and I think she needs them as much, too. I took her to Urban Market and STD (yes, I know, it's the most unfortunate name for a flea market ever) before we decided that we had found enough treasures for one day.
 We did break for a late lunch at Aviary, which was mom's second favorite meal of the trip. Springfield has SO MANY amazing places to eat--we were there for four days and still didn't manage to eat at all the places we talked about. If you're ever planning a visit and need recommendations, I'm your girl!
We were pretty wiped, so we headed back to the hotel to relax and watch SVU (seriously, like mother, like daughter). Thank God for USA marathons.



2 comments :

  1. The thrifting looks exactly as it should. Nostalgic and weather worn and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong; I love a perfectly curated vintage store as much as the next person, but there is something about digging through a bunch of junk to find that one perfect treasure that is just so satisfying!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished