Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Joy in the Middle

This winter has been a wild one to say the least. We've had a legitimate blizzard, a separate snowstorm that dropped over a foot of snow, a "snow day" caused by dangerously low temperatures...all separated by some random 60+ degree days. If I didn't look up the forecast, I'd honestly have no idea how to dress on any given day. Looking back on the past year, life sort of mirrored the weather: 2018 really held some of my highest highs and lowest lows, and I think I'm still getting over the level of emotional whiplash I experienced over the past twelve-ish months.  I worked myself to the point of burnout and physical exhaustion at my job, buried one of my closest relatives & role models, and found myself withdrawing because of anxiety more than I'd like to admit; I also took five different trips, officiated my brother's wedding, and spent the better part of a month in my beloved England.  

2018 taught me a lot, but if I had to sum up the most important lesson of the past year, it would be to recognize the joy in the middle--those average days that pass by without fanfare, that get lost in all the highs and the lows. The days where I get home from work at a normal time, snuggle the cats, eat dinner, do the dishes and read before bed are the ones I hadn't appreciated enough, but there is so much happiness in those simple moments after such a year of extremes. While I'm hoping that 2019 has more highs than lows, if the majority of my days are in the middle, I'll be perfectly happy with that. 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished