Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Fall Reading List

Now that the seasons have changed, I thought I would share my fall reading list--or at least part of it! I've been trying to make an effort to read more, even if that means letting blogging and other responsibilities lapse a little bit. The last couple months have really shown me the importance of self care and giving myself grace, and for me, reading is a big part of that. I'm generally reading multiple books at once--usually a fiction book, a non-fiction (mostly British history) book, and a book of poetry. Here's what I have on deck:


1. The Long Sonata of the Dead by Andrew Taylor and The Compendium of Srem by F. Paul Wilson:  A friend from work lent these to me to read. They're short little mysteries--perfect for a quick read right before bed.

2. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur:  I've been following Rupi Kaur for awhile on Instagram; I love the snippets of her poetry that she shares online, so I can already tell this is going to be a frequent read for me.

3. The Night Sister by Jennifer MacMahon:  Honestly, I'm already almost finished with this. I picked up another one of her books, The Winter People, a couple months ago, and I immediately went to Half Price Books to find every other book I could by her. They're all so dark, suspenseful, and creepy.....and a little bit weird. Perfect for a pre-Halloween read, you know what I mean?

4. The Book of English Magic by Philip Carr-Gomm & Richard Heygate: I've started this one already as well, and I honestly can't decide how I feel about it. I thought it would be a historical view of pre-Christian England, and it is--but it's also insight into current magical religions as well. Not that I'm not interested in alternative culture in the UK, but historical is more my speed--and let's be honest, I'm never going to try dowsing, so I really don't need a how-to guide. The historical bits are really interesting, though!

5.  The Rain in Portugal by Billy Collins: It's Billy Collins. Enough said.

6. King Death by Colin Platt: This is another one from the non-fiction (i.e. British History) section, about the bubonic plague in England. Also creepy enough for Halloween season--which means I need to hurry up and get it started!

7. Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs: This is series of short "historical" stories in the Peculiar Children world. Tyler and I went with family to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a couple weeks ago at the theater, and even though I had mixed feelings about the film, I mostly liked it and it made me want to jump back into that story again. I had picked this up right after it came out, so it was perfect timing.

What are you reading lately? I'll need some recommendations for when I finish this list!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished