Friday, June 3, 2016

Doughnuts and Celebrations

There's a holiday for everything it seems. National Ninja Day? Put a Pillow on Your Fridge Day? No Pants Day? Take Your Houseplant for a Walk Day? (By the way, those are all real.) There are a healthy proportion of silly ridiculous holidays that mostly serve just to make us laugh, but today is a holiday I can REALLY get behind. 

NATIONAL. DOUGHNUT. DAY.
(It's also our anniversary, but priorities.)

In grad school, I visited Portland, Oregon for the first time and tried the famous VooDoo Doughnuts off Burnside (and fell in love with maple bacon doughnuts). I don't care how touristy you think it is, it's worth the hype, and I go back every time I'm in town. Ever since that trip, I've been completely convinced that every decent-sized town needs a quirky, experimental doughnut shop. When Hurts Donuts opened in Springfield, I was SO excited....and when we decided to move to Kansas City, I was more than a little sad about leaving them. As it turns out, though, Kansas City has everything--including a weird little doughnut shop called Doughnut Lounge. We decided to go yesterday and it was so good. We each picked two to try: I got a tirimisu and a strawberry mascarpone, and Tyler got a berry cheesecake and a root beer, basil, and sheep's milk cheese custard. (That last one was the winner by far--oh man, it was delicious.)

Needless to say, I'm recommending a wholehearted celebration of National Doughnut Day. We may have celebrated a day early, but I'm celebrating again today with the ones we got to-go. Oh, and we'll probably celebrate our anniversary too, while we're at it. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished