Monday, February 3, 2014

Gallery Wall Love

There are few decorating ideas that I love as deeply as gallery walls. I hope they never ever ever go out of style--and if they do, I'll probably have them anyway. The bigger and more eclectic, the better. I've been hoarding components for my own for months; right before Christmas, I took everything off the wall behind our couch and filled it with Christmas decorations, with the intention of replacing the decorations with a gallery wall after the holidays. The real result was that our wall was empty for almost a month (hey, it's a little intimidating!). Apparently all it takes for me to get my rear in gear, though, is a text from my mom saying that she's coming to visit for the weekend (because my mom has changed my dirty diapers and seen me vomit, but seeing blank walls in an apartment might somehow make her think less of me or something.......my brain is weird).

So Friday, this happened: 



About time, right? I obviously used the trace method for designing my wall (thank you, Pinterest!), and I am oh-so-glad I did. If you've never seen this done, prepare to have your life changed! I traced all the frames onto some leftover wrapping paper, then arranged them on the wall (I recommend using painters tape if you have it; I didn't, so I used scotch tape and just was extra careful removing the paper when it was time). I then used the "toothpaste trick" to determine where to place the nail--I put a small dab of toothpaste on the hanger(s) for each picture, then lined them up with their respective paper representatives, and pushed gently. This left a toothpaste mark where the nail should be, and the toothpaste wiped right off the pictures themselves. Once I hammered in the nail, I removed the paper place-holders and hung the pictures. It was by far the easiest time I've ever had hanging frames, and there aren't a million nail-holes in our walls--something we'll be grateful for when we move out of the apartment! 

Here's the finished product: 


Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out (although I just noticed that one of those small pictures is crooked, so I'm gonna have to fix that before I go crazy!). It feels much more personal and homey to me than our previous arrangement, and I'm thrilled to finally have a little gallery wall of my own.



6 comments :

  1. LOVE! Looks great! And next time I'll try your wrapping paper/toothpaste tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is stunning, Jess. Our new place has stairs and the first thing I thought about with them is how great a gallery wall will look with them, so I'm right with you in the Gallery Love. Hopefully I'll be posting a blog about it soon too. Will definitely be using the toothpaste trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE! Currently working on a gallery of my own! <3 Also, I just love Ethan's fox he made you! you guyzzzz <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek, you have to post pictures! I'm obsessed with seeing other people's walls. #weirdo #ijusthashtaggedablogcomment

      Also, please tell me that some of your own art is going to be displayed because you are so talented!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished