Tuesday, January 15, 2013

tattoo tuesday: ampersand

Well, it's Tuesday, and we still have no Internet at our place. Once again, I'm typing this out on my phone, and trying not to let my teensy bit of frustration come through--it's all spoiled, entitled frustration anyway. I mean, really. Some people have legitimate problems.

Anyway, the ampersand. I could easily attach about a thousand meanings onto this one, but I'll just throw out my top three.

Literature. Oh my, am I a book hound. I can't get enough. It's probably my second biggest addiction, right after all things England. My mom started teaching me to read when I was two, so it feels as natural and necessary as walking or breathing. I know it sounds crazy, but I can actually still remember what it felt like when she brought some elementary reading books home from work (she was a kindergarten teacher for most of her working life) and showed me how to string the sounds of letters together to make words. Even before that, I had some favorite books memorized, because she would read to me any time I asked, and I asked a LOT. I'm so grateful for that.

Me & You. Last June, I officially became an "and"-- a part of a duo. Even though I'm still me, I'm part of something bigger than I was on my own. My relationship with Tyler has given me that, and I want something permanent that reflects the permanency of our marriage.

"And." Gosh, I'm an "and" girl. I have a hard time being content with what is. I always want to do more, see more, and be more. Sometimes this is a weakness, but most of the time, I really love this part of who I am. It's prevented me from settling for less so many times in my life. And, like right now, when I'm struggling with career decisions and direction, it pushes me to nothing less than happiness and fulfillment. It's the ampersand that keeps me from being stagnant; when I don't feel forward motion, I'm restless and unhappy. It keeps me moving, improving, expanding in interests, hobbies, passions, and abilities. It's the push between where I am "&" where I want to/ will be.

There has obviously been a lot of thought behind this one. The catch is the design. I generally lean toward the simpler end of things, but some of the more decorative are so pretty and feminine. Here are a few I've pulled up. (I love the flowered one, but I want to keep it small, so I'm thinking it won't work. I still love it though. Maybe I'll get a print of it for our place.) What do you think?













5 comments :

  1. So it's a year later...did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nope, but it's still on the list! I went with the "timshel" one for now.....

      Delete
  2. Um, yeah. We were seriously cut from the same cloth. 2 halves of the same heart. I've too recently discovered that if I ever got a tattoo it would be "&" because well...so many reason. So we should talk. And I kinda feel like maybe we should work this into a bestest friend outing... like for real. I'm serious. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love the idea....just need the location (body-wise!). I have a few more on my list now too.....

      Delete
  3. Wow this post is from 2013! Haha I love this idea, too. I actually have a few book-related tattoos. I have one on my wrist that says, "I am." (Sylvia Plath reference.) I also have a passage from "Caged Bird," by Maya Angelou on my shoulder. I used to be a tattoo addict but I haven't gotten one in a few years. Feeling that itch creeping in again! I've always liked the idea of getting "and yet" tattooed... Just not sure where.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished