Tuesday, December 18, 2012

tattoo tuesday: love wins

My final tattoo is of a personal motto of mine/reminder to myself that came from a sermon by an author and former pastor from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Rob Bell is an incredibly intelligent, progressive, out-of-the-box thinker, and he never fails to challenge me, make me think, and make me search for answers. He's controversial, yes, but I respect him--the tattoo isn't really about him, though, but rather his articulation of a very basic principle.

Because of his views and theories, he and the members of the church he used to lead have received more than their fair share of criticism. In his sermon, he talks about how a member of the church was approached and berated in a grocery store because of their membership, and how this member later came to him and asked what he should have done in that situation.

His response?

Love wins. Every time.

That's it. When asked what was the most important commandment, Jesus' answer was simple: "Love God. Love others." He turned everything on its head with the instructions to love our enemies.

What do I do when someone insults me?

Love wins.

What do I do when somebody hurts me?

Love wins.

But what if a person hurts my family?

Love wins.

What if someone attacks my political views? Or my religious beliefs?

Love wins.

Love wins. 
Love wins.


Indeed.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished