Wednesday, December 19, 2012

life last week: gluten and ugly sweaters.

I had a check-up at the doctor on Friday, and since Tyler had the day off, he accompanied me. (He also discovered that Highlights is still alive and well, and was pretty excited about that.) 


I had been just feeling really crappy and exhausted for the past few months--not to mention getting sick a lot, but I attribute that to working with a bunch of germ-factories children every day. My immune system sucks anyway, but it's kinda a bummer to never have the energy to do much. I really like my doctor, because he's super thorough and looks at other ways of dealing with things rather than just writing a prescription. (I actually found out a couple days before my appointment that he's nominated for best physician in the Best of the Ozarks!) He started asking about my diet, and I admitted to being a carb junkie. Turns out gluten might be the culprit (I'm not celiac, thankfully, because I don't have the gastrointestinal issues; gluten can cause other types of problems even for people who aren't). Looks like I'm going gluten-free--or as my doc said, "at least drastically reduced." I'm going to pretend like he said I can wait until after Christmas, since it's only a little over a week away. It'll be an adjustment, for sure, but everyone I know who has done it says they feel a ton better, and I'd much rather try this than medication. I'm trying to be excited about it, so I bought a book/cookbook at Barnes and Noble. I'm just going to tack it on to my list of New Year's resolutions.


We definitely went to Cheddar's after my appointment, though. I'm enjoying my last couple weeks of freedom.
.


So lucky to have this man. He still makes me giddy.




***
Saturday night we went to an ugly Christmas sweater party with some friends. It was a blast. Yummy food, white elephant, the game Things (which is hilarious, if you've never played it), awesome company, and a baby with a mustache. Doesn't get much better. Tyler's dad bought a new camera (that I'm coveting big-time); he dropped it off Friday so I could mess with it, and I took it to the party with me. Sorry for the picture overload! 

Told you. Baby with a mustache.

  My brother and I showed up in the same shirt, completely unplanned. Typical.
(Can I mention that it's crazy that my brother and I go to the same parties now? He's not my baby brother anymore. It's a weird feeling, but I don't even really see him as younger than me. Surreal.)
 Totally jealous of Kayla's shirt....and her twelve ugly vests.


 This might be my favorite picture of the night. 

 College buddies! Minus the baby, I feel like a freshman again.

White elephant gifts!

 We got a pinata. I named him Herbert.

 Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel.

 Glorious.

 I have no idea what's going on here, but I love it.

 (I'm telling Santa my wishlist.) 

Scott took a bite out of Sarah's cupcake--after he licked the icing off.
Actually, on second thought, this is just a picture of Sarah holding Scott's cupcake.



I love my friends. They're crazy, hilarious, and super fun. We're making it an annual tradition.

Tyler and I were supposed to head to Silver Dollar City the next day with Sarah and Scott, but the pesky virus I'd been holding at bay finally got the better of me. So I spent the day on the couch. I think I got up twice. Blech. I'm still not at 100%, but as long as I'm feeling normal by Christmas, I'll manage. I refuse to be sick on my favorite holiday. Make it happen, body. Make it happen. 

2 comments :

  1. ahh. gluten free is hard at first to get rid of, but it's simple once you get the hang of it and figure out some new favorites. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've already been looking into some replacements; I'm just glad that gluten-free pasta exists, because pasta is definitely my weakness! It probably won't be the same, but hopefully it'll be close enough to satisfy my cravings and keep me in line. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished