Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Planet Comicon 2016

I really don't put much effort into hiding the fact that I can be a little bit of a nerd at times (like, um, any time anyone talks about British history or Game of Thrones, for instance). One of those times comes a few days a year in the form of comicon. Tyler and I have gone the last few years, and even though capes & tights aren't really my thing, I've really come to look forward to it.  We went last weekend, and my brother and his girlfriend came up to join us!
Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos--I try to carry as little as possible!
I had my heart set on meeting the green/white Power Ranger, but the universe was working against me--well, the universe, and my aversion to waiting in long lines and paying $50 for a photograph. I still walked by and got to see him, George Takei, Stan Lee, Jason Mewes, Tom Felton (DRACO MALFOY, YOU GUYS!), and a bunch of other interesting folks. (We also ran into Ming Chen from Comic Book Men/Tell 'Em Steve Dave out on the sidewalk Thursday evening and got to chat with him for a bit!)

Worst picture of me ever. But I was excited!

I bought wayyyyy too much fun stuff and got to catch up with some Springfield friends too. And don't get me started on the costumes....

 Right? People are awesome.

Of all the comicon moments this weekend, though, I have to say that the one I will remember most is being (legitimately!) asked for my autograph. I mean, what?!

Brief(ish) backstory: for the past few months, I've been helping my friend Rick (who is a published artist for DC, Marvel, & Disney that we met at comicon three years ago) work on his passion project--an audiobook of poetry he had written. As he was starting to wrap up recording, he asked if I would write the foreword--of course, I agreed, and after editing and re-editing a few paragraphs, it became a two-page spread in the booklet. I walked up to his booth at comicon, and he was talking to a guy who had just purchased his audiobook. When he introduced me as having written the foreword, the guy asked if I would sign it as well. SO CRAZY. (You can probably tell by the smile on my face that I was freaking out just a bit).


If this is what being a nerd is about, sign me up. Such a fun weekend!

2 comments :

  1. So "Miss Frizzle" is actually a friend of mine. I was seeing all of her progress pictures on Facebook, and her photos and statuses about the con, and it made me laugh to see her on here. I saw some fabric at Ikea that I couldn't help but think would be perfect for a Miss Frizzle dress so I'll have to see if I can convince her to do another variant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great! She was my favorite of the whole thing!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished