Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wilson's Creek via Iphone

Last weekend, we found ourselves with nothing to do on Saturday afternoon and itching to get out of the apartment, so we decided to go for a little drive to Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. Now, I'm currently registering a negative when it comes to my interest in the specifics of the Civil War (where battles took place, how many people were killed, military strategy, zzzzzzzzzzzz........) and as a rule, war makes me queasy and unbearably sad. (Side note: this Syria debacle is about to give me an anxiety attack.) However, I think the Civil War's sociological impact is interesting, and I love history in general,  as well as anywhere that has remained relatively untouched for decades, haunted places, and wilderness.  So it was a go! So much so, actually, that we bought a season pass. Anyone want to go with me?

The only snag in my plan is that I was dressed and ready to go before I actually knew where we were going. Also, I hadn't been outside yet. Cords and a denim shirt for walking around in 90 degree heat? Not my smartest move. So we skipped most of the hiking trails and just drove the park loop, stopping a couple times to read signs and walk up to the Ray House, which predates the war. (Apparently John Ray, the owner, sat in a rocking chair on his front porch watching the battle while his wife, children, slave, and her children all cowered in the cellar. Can I be honest? I would totally have been in the cellar.) During the battle, it was used as a hospital, which kept it from being fired upon, and that's one major reason it's still standing. Also, the first Union General to die during the Civil War was brought to the bed that's still in the house--jibblies. There's your history lesson for today. See, THIS is the kind of thing I'm interested in. Formations and battalions and positions? Meh.

Here are a few snapshots from my phone that I took while in the park. I had my film camera with me as well, but I haven't finished the roll yet. Good thing we're planning on going back this upcoming weekend!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

1 comment :

  1. Wow it's beautiful! And um yeah I'd be in the cellar with ya girl--why oh why would he think sitting on the porch during a battle would be a good idea?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished