Sunday, September 22, 2013

Hello Fall! You're Quite Welcome Here.

When I was a kid, I lived for summer. No school, no responsibilities--just the freedom to run through fields, play in the creeks, and explore the forest on our (and usually our neighbors') land....usually with a book in tow. Summers in the country are heaven for a child. 

FH000022

The switch happened somewhere in my later college years--fall became my favorite season.  It happened about the time I moved into the Rountree neighborhood near campus.  To me, Rountree is the most perfect place to live in all of Springfield. The streets are lined with quaint bungalows, there are quiet sidewalks to walk down, and everywhere you look are the most beautiful trees. During the fall, they seem to stretch out as far as they can to show off their colors, and driving down Weller or Pickwick is like driving under a canopy of reds, yellows, and oranges.  I always took more walks in the fall, and to this day, as soon as the leaves start to turn, I start taking drives in Rountree to get my giant dose of fall. 

FH000024

I can talk all I want about cooler weather (yay!), sweaters, boots, and everything pumpkin, but it never really seems like autumn has arrived until the Rountree trees say so. Of course, that won't keep me from trying to usher it in anyway, but I'm pining for that first real fall drive through my old neighborhood. Today marks the first day of my favorite season, so I know it's coming soon! I thought I'd celebrate with a few pictures from one of those many many (many!) college walks I took years ago.  Happy Autumn!

FH000021

Holding steady


6 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh those pictures!! I think this season instead of focusing on the rain and cold (like I normally do) I'll try and appreciate the changing leaves and other positive things about fall. :) thanks for the perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love driving down some of the streets of the older neighborhoods in Springfield when the leaves have turned. The trees are huge and arch over the road, and you feel like you're driving down a tunnel of brilliant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and also - do you mind if I borrow one of your pictures (with credit and a link back here, of course!) for my post about fall?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished