Sunday, March 24, 2013

This is not a DIY.

I had been talking about wanting to get an aloe plant for our apartment, and a few days ago, one of my friends from work brought me one! It was so sweet! We've been snowed in here today, and I decided I wanted to paint the pot it came in. 


I have a little bit of a blog pet peeve, and that's when bloggers post what I call "duh DIYs"--a step-by-step of projects that are super easy and obvious. It's probably just me, but I find it a little insulting. So this is not a DIY! There are no instructions here; just some pictures of what I did this morning.  It was actually really fun, and I did it in just a couple hours--even cooking lunch and working on other projects in between coats of paint. If you want to try it yourself, go for it! And if you do have any questions, send them my way and I'll do my best to help you out.






Don't judge the gold on this--it was only the first coat! 


Here's a tip: if you're using metallic paint, lay down a coat of white underneath. I tried painting the gold with no base, and it just looked really strange--dull brown with just a little shimmer.

There are a few things I would have done differently, if we weren't snowed in this morning:

1) I would have used painter's tape to get cleaner lines; they'll do as-is, but they're far from perfect, and that's going to bother me!

2)I would buy some firmer brushes for the lettering. It was definitely the hardest part, and flimsy brushes didn't help.

3) I might have actually made some stencils for the lettering. I'm not the biggest fan of my handwriting.


(Oh, and I'm going to buy some clear sealant for it this week. Acrylic paint & water aren't exactly good together.)

I'm about to curl up with my husband and watch Anna Karenina. Hope you all are having a lovely Sunday!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished