Sunday, February 24, 2013

Work it Out.

Can I be honest?

I'm seriously out of shape.



The last time I tried to do a Jillian Michaels workout video, I almost passed out 10 minutes in. It's sad. In grad school, I worked downtown and had a membership to the YMCA; I'd walk over and workout almost every day on lunch or after work. Then I moved back to my hometown. I was working full-time, trying to write my thesis, and care for my grandparents...and the first thing to go was exercise. I know, I know, you have to make time and blah blah blah. But I didn't.

I don't have any weight or self-image issues; I think I've gained a whopping 5 pounds since my senior year of high school. Sure, I have some things I'd like to work on & change, but I'm generally pretty happy with how I look. The thing is, though, I was a competitive gymnast for years--we had 3 hour practices several times a week and really intense conditioning. You could count my abs. I'm serious. I wish I had pictures. Now, well...  I did about 20 knee-hugs yesterday, and today it hurts to laugh. I hurt everywhere.

 I'm starting small, but I'm starting! I don't expect to have my gymnast bod back anytime soon (or, you know, ever, really) but I would like to make it through a full Jillian Michaels DVD without collapsing--even if I am muttering under my breath that she's a total b-word for torturing me.

My cardio partner right now is Richard Simmons. No, I'm not joking. I used to do his "Sweatin' to the Oldies" tape (yes, tape) with my mom when I was a kid and I recently bought the 20th anniversary edition on DVD. It's the most ridiculous thing--there/s a woman exercising in denim overalls-- and so embarrassing, but in all honesty, it's the most fun cardio workout ever. Jillian sends me into a murderous rage, and Richard Simmons just makes me laugh. A lot.

But no, you can't come join me, because I know I look like a complete idiot. I actually only do this when my husband is at work.

I tack on some strength conditioning at the end, too, which I'll increase in small increments. I took my "before" picture, and hopefully in a few months, I'll be able to look back at it and see some improvement. Wish me luck!



Do you have an exercise regimen? What are some of your favorite elements?

2 comments :

  1. Back in my "radio days," I was part of a Morning Show on a Soft Rock station. One of our most memorable (& exhausting) guests was Richard Simmons! He visited us in the dead of winter on a frigidly cold November morn and was dressed just as you have pictured here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO jealous! I love Richard Simmons! Even my husband likes him; he watched a documentary about his life, and how he was bullied for being overweight as a kid. As Tyler said, "It's impossible to know anything about that guy's life and NOT like him." :) I can definitely see him being exhausting, though. Haha. I can't believe you got to meet him. I bet you have a ton of great stories from your "radio days!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished