Friday, January 4, 2013

life this week: date day

I swear, Tyler and I have completely opposite schedules. I work four ten-hour days during the week; he works 8-hour days and always works weekends. We pretty much see each other for a couple hours after I get off work, and then we go to bed. Sometimes it seems like we never have time to go do anything together. About once a month or so, we both have a Friday off, and it's amazing. Last Friday was that Friday, and we made the most of it. 

Somehow, when we go to town, we always end up at Target. Tyler knows it's one of my favorite places, even though it's a total time/money-drain. I will walk in there to buy some shampoo and toilet paper and walk out with three shirts, a dvd, a pair of shoes, a couple scarves, some dishes, and a handful of nail polish. (Does this happen to anyone else? I swear they hypnotize me when I walk in, and 15 minutes later, I'm all like, "Why, yes, I do need a duvet cover!") This trip, I definitely walked out with five shirts and a pair of pants. 


Then we somehow ended up at the mall, where I somehow ended up with that union jack sweater, too. Thankfully, that's all I walked out with. Dangerous!

We almost headed home after that, but I somehow remembered that Casper's exists. Tyler had never been, and I have wanted to take him for forever. Casper's is the oldest restaurant in our town (over 100 years old!) and they have the best chili on the planet! The problem is, they're only open for lunch, they close during the summer (it's not air-conditioned), and there's always a wait. So every time I've thought to take him, they've either been closed or we've been in too much of a hurry. Today was our day!




It started snowing steadily, and when we got there, the line was out the door. We stuck it out though, and we were standing inside waiting for a table, when a sweet old man offered to let us sit with him and his wife so we wouldn't have to stand any longer. We took him up on it! He said that he had been coming to Casper's since he was a kid, with his dad. We sat and chatted about good places to eat, his short career as a truck driver, and his long career with MoDot, clearing snowy roads on days like that one. It's times like this that make me love my city extra. As much as I would love to move to Portland or anywhere in England, I can't think of anywhere in the Midwest where I'd rather hang my hat. It's an awfully sweet little town we have.


After Casper's, we boxed up our leftovers, and headed to The Cup. Tyler and I went there so much while we were dating that it's kinda become one of "our spots." I got the Pumpkin Harvest and Tyler (as always) got the Confetti.


Yep, that's a velociraptor.

After that, we headed home, but got side-tracked at the thought of doing a little thrifting (okay, I got sidetracked). I didn't find anything I couldn't live without--which is probably good considering the damage I did at Target--but we had fun looking around.  Then we headed home for real. I love these days.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Be sure to check the notification box to see any replies. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished